Subject: [Leica] Leica 135mm Apo Telyt M
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:31:30 -0700
References: <CAH1UNJ2aVEv_vRPXscsYEn=TUHE6cEKCb2p==4ahsYrEM2T4jA@mail.gmail.com> <943f8e4a-82e0-3299-7461-6278e23e3918@summaventures.com> <CAJ3Pgh7nG-x0mk4s+tirxeissuLNw2xkTvYK3gJrCN3Sh7--eQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAFfkXxvXttdAZVRyN6sfQm-aa3QY7T6EVNOkf8C4EQkFOpwoGw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh5O8KpCyJcS2V7-8wpx3jggmZuE0iMN=zvSmkZMOpp9vg@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ3CZ-i_w612296etT4r0UxdhcKnES107CgkfOW_ha4imA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh53gruv4FAy=64XgoZicFUn1+605eQs4j01K+chM661yw@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ120x96GMVPHqa49beHfQaXT6N0LPb7RLk+w2Wpovhg-w@mail.gmail.com> <CABXy404+9T4R+GTMdyCkvTjOn4qZjfw35Lp649cznt_AS7XSFg@mail.gmail.com>

I am also a hiker.  So I consider size and weight.  The Leica 135 at 4 1/4
inches and 478 grams is much nicer to carry than the Canon zoom at 6 1/2
inches and 787 grams.  So, if I can capture more information with less size
and weight, that counts, big time.

As to the importance of sharpness, my first one person show (in about 1981)
was, in effect, a market test.  While the people loved the color I was
doing, I regularly saw people walking up close to the prints and then
backing off.  The sharpness of those (original 35mm slides) was not, in my
view, good enough for gallery display.  (Though I was proud to sell one to
Elizabeth Taylor's mother, and the entire show ultimately sold for
corporate decor -- which was not really my target.)  For large, wall
display prints, 35mm film was simply not going to do the job.  Hasselblads
ruled that segment for a reason, and as a result of this original show and
the feedback I received, I bought a Rollei SL66, which was up to the
standards that were expected.  After the show in Palm Springs, it turned
into a traveling show through the greater Los Angeles area.  By that time I
had just a few black and white prints that were taken with the SL66.  I
grew up with a darkroom (my Dad's buddy was Todd Walker), so doing B&W was
easy for me.  In the L.A. show, which was in the lobby of, I believe, what
was then called the Bonaventure, the new medium format B&W prints were all
stolen.  None of the color prints were stolen.  That was great feedback.
Sharp B&W became my target/main medium.

Although I started to experiment with digital image capture early in the
transition, the Leica M9 was really the turning point for me.  MF film and
the Rollei SL66 became relics from the past (though the SL66 holds a
special place in my heart and is in a display case in my home now).

I "sat" at Gallery Los Olivos today.  One of the prints on display was my
"Pompeii Basilica to Mt. Vesuvius."  (See
https://www.paulroark.com/Italy.html and scroll down.)  Even though the
print is very large, people still walk up to it and check out the details.
So do I.

So, while it's probably not true for all people and styles, for what I do,
sharpness matters -- but so does ability to comfortably carry the
equipment.  My simple testing of lenses by shooting the distant top of the
Santa Inez mountains between where I live and Santa Barbara, has been a
significant and easy part of what I do that, I'm convinced, has played a
significant role in my ability to find the equipment and software that
helps me sell my prints and enjoy doing photography.

I might add that we may now be at a transition point in terms of software.
At least for people like me, Topaz's AI Gigapixel is a quantum leap over PS
sharpening.  It's the first example I have any experience with that
suggests "artificial intelligence" may be more than hype and BS.  It's just
another tool, but it's quickly become one I regularly use.  If you like
sharp images, you really ought to check it out.

Cheers,

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Leica 135mm Apo Telyt M)