Subject: [Leica] Old Photographs
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 20:55:34 +0530

Jim, Don, Peter, Alan

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Here is the link to "The Hunt":

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/EAfrica/reprocessed/JayanandGovindaraj_Cheetah2.jpg.html

Cheetahs and Zebras always convert acceptably well to B&W because of the
patterns of their coat, but I am not a very big fan of B&W for wildlife,
unless, like the shot of the elephant and her calf, the scene is flat and
bereft of colour anyway! The second B&W in this set, the cheetah, was
converted only to emphasize the colour of its eyes. My view is that the
interplay of colours is critical to depict wildlife, even when the
background is largely monochromatic, and blurred out. Peter mentioned Nick
Brandt - like everyone else, I was blown away by his early work - I saw it
first in Lenswork, and then his first book. The limitations of B&W for
wildlife work soon became apparent with time, because his work became very
repetitive, as if he had hit a brick wall, and tended to pall.

The last zebra shot has a post processing story behind it - actually, in
the original capture, the youngster has motion blur, so I never bothered
processing it, but for some reason retained the RAW file. Topaz Sharpen AI
fixed that in a jiffy! The moral is to never delete anything, storage is
cheap!

Cheers
Jayanand