Subject: [Leica] OT: USB 3 PCI card claims "not migrated, " but still works
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 23:22:29 +0100

Interesting take, Frank. I have a stuttering Windows 10 Dell Inspiron
3847 with 8GB ram which is struggling to cope with Lightworks video
editing software.
Ideally, I'd like to get a new pc with 32GB ram, but I've decided to get
16GB of ram for it instead. I know I should really get rid of Windows
which is stuffed full of bloatware. I'm beginning to veer into a
paranoid hatred for Windows "We say it's not so much an operating
system, and much more a service, but the reality it's a giant fat toad
sitting on your back".

Am I heading up the wrong fork in the road?

Douglas

On 07/06/2021 04:40, Frank Filippone via LUG wrote:
> [...]
>> and install the card.
>>
>> If you feel shaky about that, maybe image your drive before you do
>> anything
>> else.
>>
>> (Sez the guy who just had to do a full clean install after a win 10
>> crash
>> that wouldn?t let me repair.)
>>
>> SonC
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 9:32 PM Peter Klein via LUG <lug at
>> leica-users.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Summary:? The old Transcend 2-port USB 3 PCIe card in my PC died this
>>> past week. It worked fine for years. I replaced it with a FebSmart
>>> 2-port card.? The replacement appears to work fine. But Device Manager
>>> says that it's "not migrated due to to a partial or ambiguous match."
>>> Should I be worried?
>>>
>>> Details:? I just installed a "FebSmart" FS-U2-Pro USB 3.0 PCIe card,
>>> $13
>>> from Amazon.? My computer is a Dell Optiplex 980, 8 GB memory, 450 GB
>>> SSD system drive, 2000 GB data drive, Windows 10 Professional x64.? The
>>> Optiplex 980 is not officially compatible with Win10, but many 980
>>> owners have successfully upgraded.? Mine has been happily running Win10
>>> since last year.? I use USB 3 to back up my computer, and to download
>>> files from my camera SD cards.
>>>
>>> I keep getting the error "Device not migrated" in the Device Manager
>>> entries for the Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller and Hub. Despite the
>>> error, the USB card appears to work correctly. I can use it with my
>>> Seagate portable hard drive (for backups), a SDI card reader, and
>>> various flash drives.? Speeds appear comparable with the old card. A
>>> 2GB
>>> copy of RAW camera files from a card reader to my hard drive, and from
>>> the hard drive to my backup USB drive all went flawlessly, and bit
>>> compares of all these files showed no errors.
>>>
>>> The FebSmart card was supplied with a driver dated 2011(!). The
>>> manufacturer's web site has the exact same driver. Windows loads very
>>> recent Microsoft drivers (late 2020 and 2021).? I have tried
>>> uninstalling and reinstalling both drivers, and I get the same
>>> result. I
>>> tried the remedies mentioned in various Web articles.? No help. I
>>> contacted the manufacturer and got the following reply:
>>>
>>> "Hello,I suggest you relaod System,for brand PCs some times it have
>>> some
>>> limitations . Some brand PCs do not accept the device ,it is no way to
>>> add it on . But if you reload systems all problems will be done."
>>>
>>> In other words, "just reinstall Windows and all your software."
>>> Ummm, no.
>>>
>>> Frankly, I'm not sure that the error message isn't bogus, since the
>>> card
>>> works.? So at this point, I can just run with the current card unless
>>> something truly goes wrong, or replace it with a $20 Inatek card
>>> (Chinese company), or a $37 StarTech card (made in Taiwan for a
>>> company).? Throwing much more money than that at the problem is