Subject: [Leica] M6 prices are $$$
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 12:34:47 -0500

AE-1 bodies are pretty bullet proof.  The shutter squeak is a bushing
bearing on the mirror pivot.  It is easily fixed with a needle oiler and a
set of jeweler screwdrivers to gain acces through a screw on the front.

If I would recommend a camera for students today, I would say any model
with a copal square shutter like a Nikkormat.  Watch for Canon F1's, Nikon
F3's and if luck into a Nikon F and a standard prism.  Like Leica's the old
professional bodies will hold their value and be repairable.  I would
recommend Leicaflex's except lenses have been bid up by the video
professionals.

The K1000's are pretty much been used up.  If you find one coming from an
estate then battery cancer is about the worst you see; a simple function
check of wind and low speed shutter and you should be good.  Especially if
the new film photographer is willing to use a hand meter there are some
real bargains out there.  In this genre a lot of the KEH as is on EBay are
dead meters or smallish spots on mirrors.  Still pretty useable.

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:18 PM Jeffery Smith via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>