Subject: [Leica] Schoolhouse at Besancon, Indiana #6
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 14:08:48 -0500

The school my father went to was west of Hastings, Nebraska.  It was a one
room school but that made sense as the population density was very low then
as it is now.  The county wasn't prosperous enough or had the
transportation infrastructure to bus students or otherwise provide a way to
get to school.  So my father rode his horse into Hastings and then went to
school.  An interesting side note is one room schools have one teacher for
all grades.  You would have to be amazingly well grounded in a number of
subjects to teach at all grade levels.  Also, think of the
temperament required to be effective with 5-6 year olds and with teenagers
to about 18 years old.

I don't know about other areas but education was extremely valued in rural
Nebraska both toward the western end (Hastings) and at the eastern end
(Nehawka).  I say this as children were expected to graduate from high
school.  Farm work might take you away for a week in planting(brandining)
season but the work was expected to be made up.  Also, young women had the
same expectations as the men.   I might also add the same general
expectations were from the MIssissippi Delta; obvious Jim Crow exception,
Just my family ethnology.