Subject: [Leica] [LRflex] Erwin Puts
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 11:07:56 -0700

If anything, Erwin was a believer in optical excellence.? Np tricks, no
excuses.? Not GOOD engineering and production.? Rather, GREAT
engineering and production.

he whole theory of COMPUTATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY would be? (?) anathema to
him.? It is NOT about optical excellence, it is about learning to
correct that lack of excellence with digital manipulation.? IOW, let the
costly optical components go down in COST, measure what you got, then
figure how to digitally correct them.

It makes sense.... in a away..... The repetitive costs of expensive
optical and mechanical components goes down, and the one time only costs
of figuring out a digital correction works "as well" as if you did it
right in the first place.

Costs Down = More Profit at the same selling point.? ( I think we can
all agree that Leica keeps the same selling point: High)

The Huawei and Panasonic connection, etc. is all about computational
photography.? It was getting popular in the interviews with Leica
personnel in the 2018-2019 time period.

It is still popular in the interviews.? The anti-keystoning software in
the M10 recent firmware release is a perfect example and product of this
type of thinking....

My guess is that this contributed to his frustration with Leica....

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at gmail.com

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] [LRflex] Erwin Puts)