Subject: [Leica] Firmware Updates
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 09:37:36 -1000

Let's say your assesment is correct......
Agreed that changes to the aperture can only be done at the moment of
exposure?  The aperture ring is a physical thing, and is set before the
snap of the shutter.

I assume you did not change the aperture yourself?  IF you did change
the aperture ring, why would the recorded and correct shutter speed be
the same?

The exif data was "imprinted" in the file at the time of exposure and
recording the image to the SD Card.  Agreed?  This applies ot both the
shutter speed and the f-stop.

The shutter speed was recorded and is the same on  the 2 images.  1/4000
sec.  See the file for this info.

The lighting in the scene may have changed a tiny bit, but no where near
the F1.4 to F4 ( 3 stops of 8x the amount of  light) between the 2
images.  ( this assumes the 2 images were taken at about the same time.)

So the camera, in the act of taking the picture with perspectuve control
ON, decided an aperture change was required.......
How did the camera change the physical dial on the lens to change the
aperture?  What mechanism was used?  Remember that there is NO physical
connection from the lens to the body nor electrical.  YOU manually set
the aperture on any M or M39 lens.

Are you saying there was a 3 stop differrence in the overall lighting
and therefore the exposure beacause the sky was slightly cropped to
allow for the distortion correction?  Arguably, in this image, a small
difference of a fraction of an f-stop,  Certainly not 3 stops, as
reflected by the recorded aperture and same shutter speed.

It has nothing to do with Live View, as that is also not connected to
the aperture ring on your lens.  It is connected to the sensor et al.

Remember that to change the aperture on any M lens (or, M39 lens ever
made) requires a mechanical movement of a ring on the lens.  There is no
physical connection nore electrical connection on any Leica or M39 lens.
The data in the exif file is an approxikmation of the lighting
conditions.  It is a fact.

( Not true in brand N, C Leica S or SL, or any slr type camera,) where
the aperture control is contained in or by the camera body, availeble to
the camera "computer" and therefore "correctly" recorded in the exif
data fields.

If you are still a non-believer.... see these references:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4259039
from the M10 owners manual:  P 53  Note the word APPROXIMATE
"The camera will write an approximate aperture value to the EXIF picture
data, which is calculated individually using the exposure metering
system. This is done whether or not an encoded or unencoded lens or a
non-M lens is attached via adapter, and also whether or not the lens
type was entered in the menu"

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com