Subject: [Leica] Firmware Updates
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 08:07:10 -1000

Two comments....
There is no connection from the M digi cameras to the aperture dial/ring
on the lens.  None.  So as much as the exif data says something, it just
is not true.  Same aperture, same as what you manually set.  Note that
the shutter speed is the same for both images.  The camera will properly
record the shutter speed.The aperture is a guesstimate. M8-M10 all the
same.  Suspect this is a bug in the FW.

The resultant picture is really quite good in its ability to straighten
the distortion created by having the lens tilted up ( a bit).  Very
impressive indeed.  But, for this image, the basic image plus LR (or
other) would have allowed the result to be absolutely square..
Apparently the camera selected the near vertical edge of the house and
made that absolutely vertical.  But the far corner is not.  Using the
distortion control in LR, you could properly square up the 2
corners..... IOW, good for some things, bad if you are depending on this
for serious architecture.

Leica has been talking about computational photography.  This is the
first implementation I have seen in a real product.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com

Replies: Reply from jhandsfield at att.net (James Handsfield) ([Leica] Firmware Updates)
Message from jhandsfield at att.net (James Handsfield) ([Leica] Firmware Updates)