Subject: [Leica] Garret Island House C. 1750-60
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 22:20:15 -0600

The are several other reasons for pier and beam construction.   The first
is cost,  aside from a dirt floor using bricks or stumps lets you level the
floor easily.  In the south it also keeps the moisture from the soil away
from your floor so the wood lists much longer.   To Sonny's point,  with a
ledge on top of your piers you can keep most rodents out of your house.
 You see this especially in Switzerland.

Last,  if your soil conditions are expansive clays you absolutely need to
allow for movement.  You can place footings several feet below grade to
where the soil moisture remains constant even in drought.  You can give
yourself enough room underneath with piers to periodically level your house
with jacks and shims.

If you look at older homes in the Mississippi delta you will see pyramidal
concrete piers under most homes: the better homes will have a skirt to hide
the piers.