Subject: [Leica] Jupiter Saturn Conjunction Christmas Star
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 08:03:21 -0500

Aram?

That?s a nice scene-setting tableau. I didn?t have such a nice foreground,
so I concentrated on the telescopic view.

We had weather that was much better than forecast on the evening of Monday
21 December, and I was able to get several images of Jupiter + Saturn in
between giving looks though the eyepiece to all and sundry who wandered by
(masks on). Nikon D850A, 6? f/7 apo astronomical telescope plus Barlow lens,
a tele-extender for a telescope, giving an EFL of 2200 mm. Here
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/Jupiter-Saturn.jpg.html>
 is the best of the bunch, to go along with my image of the same tableau
from three nights earlier.

In addition to the two planets, Jupiter?s four Galilean satellites are seen
nicely spread out along Jupiter?s equatorial plane, and a field star looking
like a fifth satellite is at the top left. The scene is tilted because the
path of the planets, the ecliptic, is angled from the ?horizontal? in any
case, more so the nearer to the horizon. I left it that way because I think
it looks better than horizontal.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/Jupiter-Saturn.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/Jupiter-Saturn.jpg.html>

?howard