Subject: [Leica] IMG: 6 inch reflector
From: john at mcmaster.co.uk (John McMaster)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 15:37:11 +0000

Impressive, there is this thread
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/astrophotography-101-how-to-get-started.65398/

Before you know it, you will end up with something like this __
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/show-us-your-tech-cam.30004/page-39#post-834701

Seriously, take a look at a lot of Craig Stocks images on Getdpi.....
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?members/craig-stocks.12302/#recent-content

john

?On 21/12/2020, 15:05, "LUG on behalf of Howard Ritter via LUG"
<lug-bounces+john=mcmaster.co.uk at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Hi, Peter?

    The images are single exposures. Since posting them, I?ve learned how to
stack multiple images of the same field to improve S/N and reduce color
noise and granularity. It makes a huge difference!

    I?ve just posted
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/?g2_fromNavId=x98ac3343>
 a stacked version of the same Orion field as well as a stack of frames
taken through a narrower emission-line filter. The latter I think is my
preference.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/?g2_fromNavId=x98ac3343

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/?g2_fromNavId=x98ac3343>

    ?howard

    > On Dec20, 2020, at 1250, Peter Dzwig <pdzwig at summaventures.com>
wrote:

    > Howard,
    >
    > are those single shots, or did you stack them? The one of the Orion
    > nebula is particularly fine.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > On 19/12/2020 21:38, Howard Ritter via LUG wrote:
    >> Congratulations, Douglas. A first astronomical telescope is a
memorable and possibly fateful thing, potentially a trap as dangerous as a
first camera. With me it went the other way: At about age 10, my parents got
me an Edmund Scientific 3? reflector, and this was enough to launch me on a
lifelong hobby. I got my hands on a camera at about the same age. It?s a
tossup which hobby has consumed more of my time as well as money! The apex
was a 25? Dobsonian (I?ve downsized to a mere 20? now, plus a 6? refractor
and a pair of 100mm astronomical binoculars.)

    >> The Dobsonian format is the ideal one for a neophyte, and a 6?
aperture will show you wonders. I recommend getting a guide to the Messier
objects, of which many look great in 6? of aperture, as I know firsthand.
And you won?t need to be told to point your scope at the Moon! Dobson was a
creative genius and the patron saint of amateur observers around the world,
a tireless advocate of astronomy on the cheap for the masses.

    >> Good luck with the weather next Monday. Ours in Florida looks
unfavorable. Because of that, I took the time to get a picture of the pair
last night, when they were still 4 times as far apart as they will be on the
21st. After moonset, be sure to have a look at the Northern Hemisphere?s
deep-sky (as opposed to Moon and planets) showpiece, the Orion Nebula. If
you don?t have dark surroundings, take a dark cloth or hoodie to shut out
all extraneous light as you look at the nebula and so you can keep both eyes
open while you look. Start with an eyepiece that will give you about 50x.

on the Gallery here <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/>.

    >> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/>

    >> ?howard
    >>
    >>> On Dec19, 2020, at 1326, Douglas Barry <imra at iol.ie> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> This is the telescope I got recently as a birthday present from my
sons. It works extremely well, even in light polluted suburbia. I haven't
taken it out to darker skies yet due to the pandemic.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Sky+Quest+Dobsonian.jpg.html

    >>> With the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn coming up on Monday, I
hope it won't be too cloudy so that I can use this. It's pretty good for a 6
inch, but with my back bothering me at the moment, I could with lightening
the Dobsonian base a bit without sacrificing stability. Maturer years don't
like heavy weights.

    >>> By the way, if you would like some marvellously therapeutic viewing
have a look at the great John Dobson making a reflector telescope by hand,
including hand grinding and polishing the 16 inch mirror.