Subject: [Leica] IMG: 6 inch reflector
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 00:39:57 +0000

Thanks Howard, I'm very much the neophyte in this area, but
unfortunately in the ASS (Avoidance of Spousal Screams) factor, I have
an awkward counter tendency towards excessive GAS (Gear Acquisition
Syndrome), currently downsizing from a peak of 60 cameras, and this new
rabbit hole looks like it just might need expensive ladders. When I saw
25" Dobsonian and then 100mm binoculars, my interest was immediately
piqued. Eyeing my downcast looking 12x50 binoculars, I just had to look
up binoculars of a size commensurate with my astral ambitions. As a man
who has Fuji, my eye was caught by a 25x150mm Fujinon weighing in at a
lightweight 18.5kg and I thought it would grace one of the windows until
I saw the ?38,450 price tag!!

Yikes! I could buy a nice secondhand Porsche for that. It cured my GAS
anyway - for a while... Seriously, on the conjunction, I took the 6" out
this evening onto my patio, but knew that I wouldn't get the maximum
darkness as my neighbour's house intrudes on final 5 degrees. So going
out slightly earlier I found the two planets are very low, too close to
the setting sun and resolution was pretty poor compared to when they
were higher in the sky. I think I may have to give it a miss tomorrow as
travelling to a better location in this pandemic isn't too wise. Better
to fight another day.

Your pictures are excellent and certainly whetted my appetite. I'll head
out to see the Orion Nebula over the next week or so.

Douglas