Subject: [Leica] 7Artisans and TTArtisan lenses compared to some German versions
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 06:19:38 -1000

The whole reason I did the analysis, and the wrote up is because images
that are posted are either jpgs, which both introduce their own
abnormalities from the digital conversion process, they are too small to
convey the image characteristics, and they do not convey the reality, or
they are major big raw files which tell the entire story but are so huge,
no one bothers to download them.  You really want to download 4x 42mp files?
And the result in this case is pretty clear.... The Leica brand lenses in
35mm 1.4 format, are superior.  The TTA lens is superior to the 7A lens,
even though it is about the same cost and has less glass inside.   In the
case of the Nocti, The Leica lens is optically pretty much the same as the
7A lens.  I did not expect any of these results.
But there is more to this than just better or worse optically..... The
reason you are considering these lenses..... There are 2 really good
reasons and a lot of others....
1) you can not afford the lens for the amount you will use it.  This is my
reason for testing the 50 1.1 7A lens.  I used it once or twice in 10
years.   I sold the Nocti and put roughly $4K back into my bank accounts.
AND I did this without compromising my lens choices.  A pretty good trick!
 2) you are or will be in a situation that there is a fair to good chance
The  lens will be stolen or destroyed by what you are going to do or where
you are going.  Think bad neighborhoods, leaving your equipment in a hotel
for a few days, or canoeing down a river.  Replacing a few hundred dollar
lens is maybe possible, a few thousand is not.
Now maybe you are more observant / picky or otherwise have better eyes  or
different needs that myself, in which case my words can act as a guide that
you are not being ripped off by these lenses.  To give you the confidence
to purchase one, test it out for yourself.  See what you think......  THAT
is the purpose of my writeup.  To instill confidence that the lens is
worthwhile to try out.
FYI, the 7A 35mm f2 lens is NOT a good lens IMO.  It is not worth the
testing time.
Note that I was loaned the 7A 35 f1.4 lens by Mark.  All the others I own
or owned ( in the case of the Nocti and 74 Lux) myself and paid for them at
full rate.
In a few months I will start to test the 75 f1.25 7A lens against the 75
Summicron ASPH.  I think this will be a non- toss up.  The Summicron is so
good that it is hard that the comparison will not show this up pretty
clearly... just as the 50 Summilux asph is clearly a superior lens to any
other 50 I own.
Mark gave me nothing except the loan of the lens.  If the 7A lens had been
better, I would have purchased one from him.
I am awaiting a loaner of the 50mm F0.95 lens to test against the 7A 50
1.1. That test will be interesting......