Subject: [Leica] CV-19 Autumn Bird Feast - Pyracantha Coccinea
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 21:24:35 +0100

Thanks Philippe, Don and Ric, but Philippe surely you know me and my
meticulous preparation in these matters?

After all, I am the son of a father whose feathered prot?g? finished 4th
in the best talking bird competition in Dublin's Evening Herald in 1953.
His babbling budgie called Barrie (yes, Barrie Barry) could converse in
Gaelic, and included in his repertoire "One, Two, Four, I can say Three,
but I won't" as well as spouting some lines of T.S. Eliot's The Love
Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. It's many times I heard Barrie spouting "I
should have been a pair of ragged claws, Scuttling across the floors of
silent seas." from his cage, before he keeled over from his perch and a
permanent silence struck him. At least I think he was a him, but I never
really checked.

Rooted in such avian articulacy, it was a small matter to clarify the
expected prospects for winter with Robbie, my resident robin, who in
turn was backed up noisily by Trump the thrush and Giuliani the
goldfinch. Biden the blackbird saw the crowd, but doesn't seem to want
to get involved. He told me privately that he thought they were two
faced liars, but didn't disagree that that winter might be tough. As he
said, "Now might be the winter of our discontent - life's a beech" as he
flew off into the hedge.

Douglas