Subject: [Leica] More Adventures at Cutlass Court
From: j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 17:34:17 +0000

Well, Howard, that IS impressive. "Adventures" is mildly put looking at this
portrait of yours! I'm glad you could get rescued and looked after properly!
JM

Jean-Michel Mertz
68750 - Bergheim

________________________________
De : LUG <lug-bounces+j2m46=hotmail.fr at leica-users.org> de la part de
Howard Cummer via LUG <lug at leica-users.org>
Envoy? : lundi 22 juin 2020 20:38
? : lug at leica-users.org <lug at leica-users.org>
Cc : Howard Cummer <hcummer at gmail.com>
Objet : [Leica] More Adventures at Cutlass Court

Last Saturday morning son-in-law Ian and myself went to check on the eaglet
at Cutlass Court.

Here is my usual rig - the Z7 with the 200 - 500 VR zoom with the 1.4
Extender on my Manfrotto tripod

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCA7578.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCA7578.jpg.html>

Ian was there with the D500 and the 300mm f4.0 Pf.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCA7613.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCA7613.jpg.html>

While setting up I started to feel faint, for about 15 seconds, and then I
blacked out,
and fell crashing into the tripod with the camera attached. Ian called 911
and the ambulance
arrived in a few minutes. They checked for broken bones, etc and sat me up
to try and walk
me out to the ambulance as the stair case was too narrow for the big Gurney.
I blacked out again and the fire department was called.  The station is just
down the hill from Cutlass Court
so the fire crew arrived quickly. They used a clam shell stretcher to get me
to the ambulance and
then I was whisked to the Health Centre to be triaged by the Doctor on Call.
The discussion was
whether a helicopter was available. But all three medi-vac ?copters were in
the air so I was
assigned to a water ambulance and driven to Thieves Bay (where we whale
watch) for pick up.
They took me to Swartz Bay where another ambulance was waiting to take me to
Saanich
Peninsula (SaanPen) Hospital. I was overnight in emergency with a Holter on
and released
the next afternoon. Stayed in Victoria to have a 48 hour Holter test and
came back to
Pender yesterday.

Here?s what I looked like at the worst point of the recovery:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCA7649.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCA7649.jpg.html>

I get Holter results this afternoon from my GP and have a tele-consult with
my cardiologist on
Wednesday. Universal Health Care works pretty well in such a medical crisis.
Direct cost to me: zero.

Going to see the eaglet tomorrow with an island photo friend who is also a
Doctor.
There will be pictures, of course.

Howard

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSC_7762.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSC_7762.jpg.html>

PS: The only damage to the camera rig was a cracked Lens hood. When I woke
up on the deck
the first thing I asked Ian was ?Is the camera okay?? I have my priorities!!