Subject: [Leica] Mount St. Helens, 40 years ago
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 20:30:48 -0700

May 18, 1980.? The day Mt. St. Helens blew up.? It's one of those events
that a person always remembers.? I was in Spokane, over 200 air miles
across Washington state from the mountain. But it got pitch-black in
mid-afternoon. We were buried in 3/4 of an inch of volcanic ash, which
is finely-powdered silica the consistency of flour.? There was quite a
mess for days and weeks to come.? I didn't have a good camera then, as
I'd sold my Leica M2 to help pay for my bassoon.? But I do have one
photo of myself taken with a rudimentary film point-and-shoot the next
morning.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/49910974171/in/dateposted-public/>

Today I commemorated the anniversary by photographing the jar of ash I
saved that morning.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/49910974146/in/dateposted-public/>

I was doing a lot of freelance writing then. The eruption gave me the
opportunity to write a first-person account of what happens when a
volcano dumps on your city.? If you'd like to read it, use the two links
below, and view large. Reading it today, I was struck by how similar
people's behavior was then and now.? Click on the photos to view large,
and the text is quite readable.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/49910453643/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at