Subject: [Leica] M8, the phantom magenta menace
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 21:08:57 -0700

See what depths of photographic depravity this pandemic has reduced me to...

My TV remote control was working intermittently. Another remote could
control the most basic TV functions, so it wasn't the TV.? I did all the
basic repairs, from batteries and contacts to I opening it up and
cleaning the internal pushbutton contacts. Each thing I did seemed to
help, and then the same flaky behavior returned. Yesterday the remote
stopped working at all, save an occasional twitch of the volume control.

As Erwin Puts used to say, details which we cannot see matter.? The
Leica M8 "sees" infrared very well.? So...
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/L1010318.jpg.html>

The M8 showed that the remote control was consistently putting out
infrared signals with each button press.? Since the TV didn't understand
any of those signals, the chip inside the remote was failing.? At which
point I declared the remote legally dead, and ordered a replacement from
the evil online retail empire. Thank you, M8.

Leica M8 and 50/2 DR Summicron (lens altered by DAG to fit and function
on digital M's). No IR cut filter. Magenta flare.? Enjoy!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] M8, the phantom magenta menace)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] M8, the phantom magenta menace)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] M8, the phantom magenta menace)