Subject: [Leica] If you have not used Zoom before...
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 09:01:47 -0700

I have sent out the invitation to join our first LUG video gathering, on
Thursday morning US time.
I set it for Thursday because I want to give people time to get set up
and get Zoom working.

Zoom works on pretty much any platform. Mac, Windows, Linux,
iPhone/iPad, Android, and probably more. Though not OS/370 or IBSYS or
Exec 8 or ITS.
You do need to install the "Zoom client" on your computer.

To join any Zoom meeting, click on the meeting URL:
https://zoom.us/j/354659583
If you do this but don't have anything installed, it will give you
instructions for how to get set up. The documentation is good.
If you create yourself a Zoom account (no cost), it will be easier in
the future to connect to meetings, but Zoom works just fine if you
refuse to set up an account. It will ask you every time (Zoom is, after
all, a for-profit company).

I have set things up so that you can click on our meeting at any time
(not just at scheduled meet times). Mostly there isn't likely to be
anyone else there, but you can learn how to use it without anyone
watching. The English-language instructions are excellent; my
94-year-old mother was able to follow them without help.

As always, I'm happy to help and answer questions. You can ask your
question on the LUG, or you can send just to me
reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

We'll talk in English, as it is (for better or worse) the common
language for multi-national meetings. I know there are LUGgers out there
who are conversant in multiple languages, but more than half of the
group speaks only English.