Subject: [Leica] IMGs x 3: CoVid-19 Chronicles
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:51:22 +0000

Philippe, it's Fagus Sylvatica which is known as Beech over here and in
the UK.

It's full of birds at the moment, bursting their little hearts out with
song as they nest and fly busily, and far too speedily for our cat - and
my lens. Amazingly, there's quite a lot of wildlife in our little urban
garden at this time of year. At the end of February, I was out on my
patio which has our kitchen herbs growing in a raised concrete bed
running alongside it. I was standing beside our Rosemary bush, and was
quite motionless in contemplation when something fast shot down and
alighted on it.

I couldn't believe it - it was a Hummingbird Hawk Moth (Macroglossum
stellatarum) which is a rare summer visitor here, but has not over
wintered here yet. I know they are very common on mainland Europe, and
are just starting to breed in the south of the UK as global warming
gives Brexitannia some new migratory species - as well as improving
British wine. However, they are really rare insects here. I only saw one
in our garden before at the height of the 2017 August heat, and this was
February so the sighting was very strange. I recorded it on the moth and
butterfly website
https://butterfly-conservation.org/our-work/recording-and-monitoring/migrant-watch/humming-bird-hawk-moth-2020/results.,

and so far it is the only one recorded in Ireland. I'm baffled as to how
it appeared in my garden, but must assume it was the result of a
mistaken visit to some warm crevice in a local building, and it then
overwintered.

I keep a beady eye on the patio, but no sign of any reappearance of the
moth, so assume an early bird got lucky.

Douglas