Subject: [Leica] Whereas I found this article terrifying
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 12:59:28 -0500

I am not defending what plans governments are contemplating.   However, the
service workers in particular are being destroyed financially: their work
place is being forced to mostly close and for marginal workers the
unemployment payments are not even close to providing sustenance.   These
folks spend their whole salary every pay period into the economy with the
standard trickle multiplier.

Howard mentioned the pensioners; even sophisticated retirees will freeze up
purchases until more information is known on how long the required freeze
in the economy is in place.   So, governments are faced with how to get
people to put money into the economy.   Britain  is proposing passing 80%
of workers wages to keep employees employed while the Americans are
proposing both sending money directly to citizens they can find as well as
some kind of "loan" to hard hit industries like airlines, hospitality, and
the travel industry.  Whether panic is smart or not governments world wide
are trying to calm their citizens so that the economic fall out is minimal.

I am not hearing about efforts to move workers to where the work is.
 Medical devices will be a boom industry for quite a while, the whole
delivery business will be booming possibly permanently, remote learning may
get the kick start that had been promised for decades.   Other areas will
also be needing workers now.   Waiting to see if the status quo will return
is in my mind like a gypsy staying in Nazi Germany after 1935.  In the US
we had a worker shortage four weeks ago; perhaps some stimulus could go to
training newly unemployed people into new careers where workers are needed.

Let's get creative and help the least among us.