Subject: [Leica] Whereas I found this article terrifying
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:55:37 -0400

Jayanand, the fatality rate is only part of the story. None of us
individually is likely to die of this, and most of us won?t lose any family
members.

What?s of greater concern, in my opinion, is the massive economic disruption
that will be caused by hundreds of millions of workers all around the globe,
in all parts of the global chains of supply and demand, staying home,
perhaps for months, and millions of businesses being shuttered. Many jobs
and businesses are inelastic and vulnerable, and will be lost, and
regeneration will take years. In the U.S., millions of retirees, many of
whom depend on income from their retirement investments, will see the value
of those accounts drop too low to sustain the usual withdrawals and will
have to make major life adjustments, with knock-on effects throughout the
economy.

Death rates always increase in times of severe economic disruption. Excess
deaths due to the coming depression may exceed those due to COVID infection.
What?s coming may be worse than the Great Depression.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration, with an alarming degree of complicity
by Democrats, is planning to buy votes by showering cash on us. Perversely,
those with low incomes will receive LESS money than those of better means,
and discrimination is to be made only on the basis of income, not of actual
need ? between those who keep their jobs or are able to live on Social
Security and pensions, and those who don?t and can?t. Money that should be
reserved for sustaining jobless benefits will be squandered on those whose
incomes are unaffected.

This is the best that our government can do?

All of that is what terrifies me.

?howard