Subject: [Leica] the new normal
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 18:46:02 +0530

We, in Chennai, are on a preemptive semi lock down till the end of this
month, at least, even though there is only one confirmed case, and a dozen
under observation,  in a metropolis of 8 million people. Schools, colleges,
clubs, cinemas/theatres, malls, offices, restaurants, etc are all closed
for the time being, and  congregations of more than 50 people banned, so
weddings have severe downsizing problems! Even temples have started barring
entry  to outsiders, I think it is only a matter of a day or two before
churches and mosques follow suit. Shops are generally open, and provisions
have not been any problem at all as most neighborhood grocery
shops/supermarkets do home delivery. Servants have also been regular up
till now. It is getting warmer by the day as summer sets in, and I hope
this coronavirus is also susceptible to the heat.

I was supposed to be in Bandhavgarh for tigers last week, and the trip got
cancelled because of the pandemic. All major wildlife parks are now closed
for the time being. We were supposed to go to Delhi for a family wedding
early next month, but we have now, not surprisingly, cancelled that trip.

There is a big plus point to all this as well - as schools are closed, my
grandchildren are spending a lot more time with us!

Let us see how it plays out!

Cheers
Jayanand