Subject: [Leica] the new normal
From: mak at teleport.com (Mark Kronquist)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 19:49:09 -0700

Happy St Patrick?s Day! There is no corned beef or cabbage to be found in
the bare markets and the one Guinness came from my fridge.

How long before it makes economic sense to import beer from Ireland again?
Did it ever?

Portland and the suburbs, including Stayton, were built on Flavortainment.
What flavor is in people?s mouths now?

I spent many years working as a City Councilor, Planning Commissioner, Parks
Board Member, Vice Chair of the Parks Board and School Board Liaison doing
what I could to serve brilliant, determined business people who wanted to
pursue their now shuttered and perhaps shattered dreams. Tonight, I look out
my door. Mick and Mom's is having a last call party. Snow Peak Brewery right
next door is closed. The new high end pub that was scheduled to open today
probably never will. The food carts are gone. The cafes and coffee shops
shut, many for good. The curtain has come down on the promising little
theater that opened to rave reviews in December. There are no stars on the
silver screen of the Star theater. The Moose and Elk lodges are empty
perhaps to return to pasture. As Alice Cooper said, School?s Out for the
Summer?in mid March?the library, pool and city offices are closed.

The street lights light empty streets and highlight the possible death of a
downtown renascence.

How long will the lights stay on if there are, as the Imperial College study
predicts, two million deaths in the US before August?

 How many downtowns across America and the world are experiencing the same
thing? Is this the new normal?