Subject: [Leica] IMG: From Waaaaay Back
From: j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz)
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 18:22:00 +0000

Love that picture. I went to a US college (Otterbein College, Westerville,
OH) in the sixties  - the bands were smaller, I agree, and the big jazz
bands like the Duke's had become legends and familiar campus figures.
Nostalgia ...  Thanks for posting this! JM
Jean-Michel Mertz
68750 - Bergheim

________________________________
De : LUG <lug-bounces+j2m46=hotmail.fr at leica-users.org> de la part de Jim
Nichols <jhnichols at lighttube.net>
Envoy? : lundi 9 mars 2020 22:59
? : Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus at thomasclausen.net>; LUG at
Leica-Users.org <lug at leica-users.org>
Objet : [Leica] IMG: From Waaaaay Back

Occasionally, I recall photos from a long time ago, and check to see if
I still have them in my files.  This one is from the late 1940s, the
time of Speed Graphics and large flash bulbs, and was probably shot by
Stanley Coumbe, one of my classmates who shot for the college paper, The
Reflector.  I found a black and white 8x10 glossy stuck between the
pages of one of my yearbooks, and scanned it.

This was the first of several college bands I played with, to help with
college expenses.  This was about 1948, and there were still a large
number of veterans enrolled under the GI Bill. Looking at the group, I
think all except two or three were in that category.  I'm the fourth guy
from the right in the front row. Red Terry, who ran the band at this
time, is the bass player.  I think I can name them all, so I'm not
senile yet.

The occasion was a Sorority Dance for the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20020430-Collegians+1.JPG.html

Demand for large, 15-piece bands went away around 1950, when they were
replaced by smaller combos with loud amplifiers.

--
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA