Subject: [Leica] [OM] IMG: From Waaaaay Back
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 09:42:46 -0500

Philippe,

This was 1948 or1949.? Out of the fifteen musicians in the band, I
believe twelve were veterans of WWII, going to school under the GI Bill
of Rights.? Several had families and were living under the pressure of
carrying a full college load.? To them, life WAS serious.

The lead trombonist that night worked for the Post Office in a
neighboring town, and had his own Saturday night band that played at the
local club.? I hitch-hiked over and played with him many times.? I was
right fresh from high school, and another of the sax players was a high
school senior.? With all of the older students enrolled, college life
was not that light-hearted scene depicted in the movies.

I worked with the bands to lighten the financial load on my parents, who
had two kids in college at the time.? It was good experience, but it was
serious business.