Subject: [Leica] RETROSPECT 6
From: billclough042541 at gmail.com (Bill Clough)
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 11:15:08 -0600

USA

TEZAS

VICTORIA

Hi there ?

   In late 1961 I took a semester off from college to be the news editor of
the Amarillo Citizen. I lost my college deferment; no problem, no one was
being drafted.

   Then came the Cuban Missile crisis. A member of the draft board told me
I better join something because I would not like the alternative.

   I have loved aviation all my life. But this child, who once got seasick
on a ship in drydock, joined the Naval Reserve. Go figure.

Unlike today, in 1961 the U.S. Naval Reserve actively was seeking
membership. I was granted permission to do a photo agency of boot camp. As
far as I know, I was the first recruit ever granted permission to carry a
camera during training.

   By pure coincidence, the commander of our company ? number 5017 ? was
from Amarillo. Convenient.

This cloudy, early-morning shot of a recruit with too many hours and too
little sleep, seems to capture the mood of the entire two weeks.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Bill1941/RETROSPECT/Boot+Camp_+San+Diego_+1962+-+00120.jpg.html

? Bill