Subject: [Leica] Photo Essay
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 17:59:53 -0600

Douglas, at least two states, Kansas and Texas, take funds from the richer
counties and send those funds to school districts that are both poorer and/
or much lower population.   Educational outcomes are not so much a funding
issue as a combination of school curriculum, parental involvement, social
structures, individual desire for education, and the actual social
structure within the school.

Here in Austin we have excellent outcomes within AISD for the schools
within the more prosperous parts of town and dedicated schools such as the
Ann Richard's school for girls that dedicates itself to STEM and girls from
the poorest neighborhood.  What needs to be done is for our social
scientists to figure out what will motivate those who come from extremity
broken homes or who come from a social structure that doesn't value
education.

This isn't about money per se but about each child and what will motivate/
encourage that unique person to become all that they can be.   The charter
schools in NYC that take students only by lottery do a much better job than
the all public schools for a large number of reasons but probably because
the parents/ students self select as being interested in getting an
education.   Now we need to reach those children that don't know/ care
about what could be with knowledge and critical thinking.