Subject: [Leica] Teaching an old dog new tricks: learning to shoot ultra-wide
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 07:32:25 -1000

There are, to me, two purposes of wideR angle lenses.... and a third that
is different....
1) Your back is against the wall and you want more in the frame...... A
step back will not work.... Typically inside a Church,  etc.
2) You want to change the proportions of what is close to what is far
away..... This focuses attention to the near for wider angle lenses...
This is all about relative camera location to the chief subject....
Terminology is PERSPECTIVE.   If you wish to focus attention to the
foreground thing, you go wider....  House and mountain in the background,
where you wish to have the viewer pay attention to the house....  If you go
longer in FL, the mountain becomes more dominant.....  This works well when
you are free to move around,,,
3) and hardly needed to state.... if you want to go REALLY wide, like a
panorama, you use the wider angle lens, VERTICAL mode, take your multiple
exposures and stitch them together.... What you are doing is to use the 3:2
proportions of the lens to get more vertical image....In fact, 50% more
vertical.... than you would get in landscape mode.   The stitching makes up
the expanded horizontal range.  Use a tripod to get it right, but with
stitching SW what it is, you can hand hold with good results.....   When
doing this, LEVEL is most important.....

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at gmail.com