Subject: [Leica] Uluru
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 06:34:01 +0530

Howard,
It is really very good, and being a Nikon shooter I had no difficulty
adapting to it - the menu, controls as well as the placement of the buttons
are virtually identical to the D500/D850. The kit lens is fantastic value
when purchased as a bundle, with an implied cost of US$500 or so, it is
easily the best "kit" lens I have used, and that, too, at a weight and size
that can be carried around the whole day long. I have also purchased the
Nikkor Z 24-70mm f2.8S (which Alastair has, and I tried out on our trip to
South Georgia), which will reach me by mid March (bought in the USA,
currently reached Singapore!) for my street photography use. The next
purchase will be the exemplary 85mm f1.8S, followed by the 70-200mm f2.8,
which has been announced as well, and going by the lenses that Nikon have
already released for the Z system, should be extraordinary. I think it is a
very good system to enter - Nikon is really hitting the ball out of the
park in relation to the quality of lenses they are releasing for the Z
system - Zeiss Otus quality for a fraction of the price and bulk. The one
thing they have to improve on, as with all mirrorless systems (including
Sony, despite internet chatter) is focus acquisition and tracking on
continuous mode, and a larger buffer. No doubt that will come in the next
generation.

I will either sell my Nikon D850, or more likely convert it to a monochrome
camera. One of our Print Exchange members has had it done, and claims that
he gets 2 stops of additional DR and around twice the resolution. This
month is a large print month (A3+), and he is sending a print shot with the
converted body, for us to judge. At US$2500 for the conversion, it seems a
great deal compared to buying a new Monochrom or a Phase One:

https://www.maxmax.com/maincamerapage/monochrome-cameras/nikon-d850m

Cheers
Jayanand

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM Howard Cummer via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>