Subject: [Leica] Your chance to own a Russian Leica M240
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 00:56:05 +0000

Having had a Zenit E many moons ago, and thinking when I moved upwards
to a Pentax Spotmatic that the Zenit should really have been named the
Nadir, I wonder for what reasons Leica is tieing itself to such an
unremarkable marque? After all, according to Robert Service's new book
Kremlin Winter: Russia and the Second Coming of Vladimir Putin, the
country is quite a busted flush with a declining population riddled with
alcoholism. As a result, male life expectancy is a decade lower than in
the UK and its economy is about the size of the Netherlands. Mind you,
it seems to be top of the class when it come to mischievous hacking, and
Kompromat.

It would be interesting to find what motivated the tie-up considering
Russia has little manufacturing industry and a prominent recent history
of cronyism and kleptocracy. The mind boggles at what might have gone on
in the background. Even though I have a nice Russian Jupiter-9 85mm F2
made in 1977, I couldn't see myself buying the Zenit-M for my moral
health. Thanks, but no thanks.

Douglas