Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Color Balancing (Blue Trees)
From: jnelon at nelonassociates.com (jnelon)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 22:02:33 -0500

Tina,
I'm so glad you posted your Kodachrome slides. I have been furiously
scanning my old slides, especially after I found some of the color problems
you're showing in your posts. I had thought Kodachrome would live forever.
Them I used a slide from Beijing that had some of the same characteristics
that you're experiencing. I was devastated thinking that I had lost a large
number of the Beijing show slides to this color problem. I haven't been able
to figure out whether the dyes shifted, or whether we stored/shipped them
improperly and the heat/humidity took their toll. And then I tried to put
together a show using Kodachromes from 1992 when I did a WWII 50-year
retrospective in Europe. My slides of the Brandenburg gate had the same
gun-metal look to them as the one you posted recently. I spent forever
trying to add/subtract color or effects, with minimal satisfaction. And then
you popped up with the same experience. I'm using a Nikon LS-4000 CoolScan
with Vuescan. I've tried all sorts of settings in Vuescan including ones
you've mentioned (infrared/cleaning/etc.), all to limited satisfaction. On
the other hand, I'm in the midst of scanning some truly old Kodachromes from
my wife's grandparents, taken in the early '50's. The colors are virtually
unchanged, although the slide material itself frequently shows some warping.
I'm left with the theory that perhaps Kodak changed some of its processing
chemistry or procedures during the 1980's-1990's era, as my Greece slides
from 1982 are also virtually worthless, from a color perspective.
I'm all ears to hear what you and others might think about any of this.
Jim

James R. Nelon
Partner
WNDA Studios