Subject: [Leica] IMG: Houston, we've got a problem
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 01:15:13 +0000

Haven't been around for a while, least of all doing any photography.
However, wending my weary way into hospital this morning for a
photographic procedure with a large Olympus (a cystoscopy - not a great
experience, unpleasant in fact - so unpleasant, I almost admitted, under
the torture, to hanging Jeffrey Epstein), I came across this
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Houston+-+we_ve+got+a+problem.jpg.html

Apparently an elderly man in his 90s, arriving at the hospital car park,
had an issue with his automatic, and pressed hard on the accelerator
instead of the brake. He smashed through the toll barrier, shot off the
road, ploughed through a flower bed and a hedge, and scattered
pedestrians before coming to a rest here. No one was hurt. At least, it
happened close to excellent medical help...

Douglas
who is discovering the perils of old age as he has had to put his mother
in a nursing home to recover after a fall at her home. There was blood
everywhere - it looked like a scene from Psycho except it was in living
colour. The fall had happened at 1am and she hadn't wanted to disturb us
by ringing us at that hour of the night so had tried to staunch the flow
herself, and dripped over several rooms looking for bandages. She them
tried to clean up after herself in the dim light and smeared it
everywhere. I had to get the local Winston Wolfe in to decontaminate the
place. She had to be hospitalised as well as needing stitches, her BP
was 220/120 which, even allowing for the fact she'll be 96 in January,
was more than a bit too high. Now the BP has come down and stabilised,
she's brighter - despite an edgy incident in the hospital a couple of
weeks ago.

I was visiting her in her two bedded close observation room that she
shared with a woman called Mary who had cardiac problems. As I arrived I
said hello to Mary who was out of bed for the first time in about ten
days, sitting in a chair beside her bed reading, and exchanged a few
words, before sitting down and pulling the curtain between the two beds.
My mother and I were talking for about twenty minutes, when I heard a
sort of cough, quickly followed by more strange sounds. Exchanging
glances with my mother, I got up, looked around the curtain, and saw
that an ashen faced Mary was slumped sideways in her chair vomiting.
Worse, like some rock stars, she seemed to be choking on it. I raced -
well, hobbled quickly as I have two bad knees - to the nurse's desk and
told the nurses that she was having a heart attack, getting a look in
askance in return. The nurse rose sedately and walked in to the room as
I gibbered beside her. She then saw Mary in extremis and sprinted to an
alarm button where upon the room filled quickly with bodies clothed in
blue and green. It was like a scene from ER as controlled, but urgent,
voices gave out instructions and responses.

I pulled the curtain all around my mother's bed to separate her from the
crisis. She was clutching my hands and saying "What's happening?" and
"Poor Mary" and looking very woebegone. I did my best to comfort her,
and eventually, as the medics seemed to get some sort of control over
the situation, she brightened, looked at me, and said "She's more than
ten years younger than me". Pausing, she declared, "I'm still here!"
Then "You can't kill a bad thing" smirking sardonically.

Life in its many aspects is always competitive...

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMG: Houston, we've got a problem)
Reply from photo.philippe.amard at gmail.com (Philippe) ([Leica] IMG: Houston, we've got a problem)