Subject: [Leica] my son Nick at dinner
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 15:37:37 -0800

On 2019-11-19 14:06, Jim Nichols wrote:

> The Q2 certainly delivers for you.? I was amazed at the eye detail in
> the second image, of Nick and Jordyn.? I think you have found a
> perfect solution for an all-purpose camera.

And what you saw in that second image was a 20% crop, shown here in a
downsampled screen shot from Lightroom.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/bkreid/family/Screen+Shot+2019-11-19+at+3_12_39+PM.png.html

The Q2 has an incredible amount of headroom for cropping. The
from-the-camera DNG is 8368x5584 pixels = 46.72 megapixels; the cropped
image (which is the one I originally posted) is 3042 x 3042 pixels =
8.825 megapixels. For comparison the M8 has 3930x2630 pixels = 10.3
megapixels; even with drastic cropping the Q2 still delivers 89.5% of
the resolution of a from-the-camera M8 image. The as-cropped image is
very close to what a 50mm lens would have produced (the crop matched
what a 35mm lens would have seen on an M8).

When I was looking around for something to replace my beloved M9, I did
the above arithmetic and realized that the Q2 would be an awesome next
camera. I've only taken about 500 pictures with it so far, but it has
exceeded my expectations.

Replies: Reply from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram) ([Leica] my son Nick at dinner)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] my son Nick at dinner)
Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] my son Nick at dinner)