Subject: [Leica] Osprey
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 21:53:13 -0600

Nice in-flight shots, Ric.

That aircraft was a long time in development.? In 1952, the USAF sought
proposals for a new vertical take-off / fast cruise speed aircraft and
received three valid proposals, one each from Bell, McDonnell, and
Sikorsky.? Each proposed configuration was tested as a large-scale model
in the old 20-ft Massie Memorial Wind Tunnel at Wright Field.? As a
young Lieutenant, I was responsible for testing the Bell configuration.?
The test report was in preparation when the Korean Conflict ended and I
was released early.

Bob Lichten, who designed the aircraft, died of cancer as a fairly young
man.? It went through numerous variations before finally reaching
production.

You've got a good vantage point for photos.? I've only seen them once,
in the 1980s, at the Bell plant between Dallas and Ft. Worth.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA