Subject: [Leica] How many people have/will buy M10/M10M?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 00:59:15 -0500

Richard?

Another reason to upgrade to get increased MPx is not for super-high
resolution in the full-frame image, but for the ability to crop
significantly and still have a detailed image. Considering that a 12MPx file
will produce a 13 x 19? print with >200 dpi, a 48MPx file from the 28mm
Leica Q2 will produce a similar print from 1/4 of its sensor, a 50% crop,
equivalent to a 56mm lens in front of a 12MPx sensor, about what we had with
a 50mm ?cron on the M8. And an 8 x 12? print needs only 4 MPx, 1/12 of the
Q2?s sensor area or a crop whose equivalent FOV is that of a nearly 100mm
lens. When we get the 28mm Qx with a 100MPx sensor, it?ll be like having a
28-135 zoom. That?s when I?ll buy one.

And lenses are capable of using this resolution. A few years ago I did an
experiment with a variety of cameras from 12MPx P&S to 36MPx full-frame 35,
each with a 24mm (actual) lens and found that as pixel size decreased,
captured detail in the subject kept increasing at least until the pixel size
was small enough that a FF sensor with that pixel size would have 100MPx,
maybe more.

?howard