Subject: [Leica] Leica plans a Silicon Valley think tank
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 16:37:34 -0500

Philippe, I think that a little software behind the scenes will make Leica
special again.  I have been using the Sony Grand Master lenses lately, they
produce images possibly better technically than my Leitz glass.  However,
it masses in the kilograms.  Carefree doesn't describe the experience.  So,
if Leica can use some computational computing in the background to keep the
images "Leica" sharp while keeping the weight down I will gladly plunk down
the thousands for an M11.  With the 61 megapixels i am currently utilizing
I don't necessarily need a zoom for A4 size prints or for a large LCD
display.

What the high resolution sensors demand is fabulous optics or at least very
well massaged processing.  It has enabled me to show my vision of how
humans stand in the world as opposed to the universe.  So, I welcome the
research to work on improved images by whatever means.