Subject: [Leica] Glamour Photography
From: tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:52:24 -0400

LUG:

I think Nathan has left the Leica Portrait Group but I'm still there
arguing about "glamour" photography and now it has spread to the Leica Meet
FB page, too.  Thank goodness, the moderators there are censoring some of
the most awful examples of exploitive photos of nearly naked objectified
women.  That seems to be the result of so many Leica photographers being
older men who can afford expensive cameras and young models.  I cringe when
I see these posed, stilted, artificially lit, awkward, emotionless examples
of nude photography.  It is terrible photography.

I do not object to nude photography.  The photos on both of those sites by
John A. DiGiorgio are wonderful examples of nude, or nearly nude, women
showing emotion.  They are not objectified.  I think those are art, not
pornography.

The vast majority of Leica photographers are men.  I guess this is an
expected result of that demographic but I think education would certainly
help some of those "photographers" take better photos without relying on
objectifying women.

If you are on either of those FB pages, please leave a comment and
opinion.  As one of the very few women, I feel outnumbered.

Tina
--
Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com