Subject: [Leica] Kasimedu
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 08:30:50 +0530

Ted, Don D, Jim N, Philippe, Douglas B, Luis, Alan

Thanks for looking and commenting.

This is a real outlier lens, which in this modern day and age, to give
Nikon credit, has been designed for the smoothest possible transition
between in-focus and out-of-focus areas in a frame, and not for optimum
sharpness, like all lenses seem to be nowadays, thanks to the internet
chatterati who know nothing else - which results in a very soft, dreamy,
painterly effect, which I really like. It is really a lens that does not do
very well in tests of brick walls, but ultimately has a unique personality,
quite different from what is generally available. I managed to get a demo
lens from Nikon India, for a week, to try out thoroughly before I purchased
this - because it costs 4x of Nikon's standard 50mm f1.4 lens.

Jim, We are surrounded by the Bay of Bengal, so there is salt water in
unlimited quantities, but not much fresh water left. The shortage has been
caused by two years of monsoon failures - last year was a humdinger as we
got only 10% of normal rainfall. However, it has been raining on and off
for the last 10 days, so lets hope it keeps going! I suppose in the long
run we have to build more desalination plants, in addition to a couple we
already have, to alleviate this problem. As is normally the case, only the
disadvantaged sections of society bear the brunt of the water shortage - we
have really not had any real discomfort as yet.

Cheers
Jayanand