Subject: [Leica] Lego (WAS: IMG: V. with phone)
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 03:06:17 -0400

My son, who is 22 now, still plays with Lego bricks. We go to Lego
conventions and there are people as old as my parents at these things
showing off their 'builds.' Lego isn't just for kids. Kids can't afford it
anyway, lol. Some of the older people we have met at the Lego conventions
have told me that they have spent more than $50,000 on Lego bricks!

My son has probably 6 or 7 thousand dollars worth of them. My parents bought
a lot of them for him when he was younger. I had only a few Lego sets as a
kid; my parents wouldn't buy many of them for ME because they were 'too
expensive' but for their grandson they didn't care. He does still have the
ones I had when I was young, and they still fit perfectly with modern Lego
bricks made today!

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

?On 7/23/19, 2:42 AM, "LUG on behalf of Nathan Wajsman"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:

    Sonny?s post triggers me to tell this story. Back in the 1960s, as a
small child in Communist Poland, my best friend was the daughter of some
friends of my parents. We were the same age, both born in 1960. My earliest
childhood memories involve sitting on the floor in their apartment, playing
with her Lego bricks?an unimaginable luxury in mid-1960s Poland.

    Beata and her parents emigrated to Denmark in 1969, and we followed suit
in 1972. The Lego bricks went to Denmark too, but by the time we were
reunited in Copenhagen, we were more interesting in teenage kind of
things?learning to smoke, growing long hair (in my case), rock music etc. So
the Lego bricks sat in storage.

    Fast forward to the 2000s. Beata got married and started the procreation
business rather late, in her late 30s/early 40s. She has two children, a boy
and a girl, now aged 16 and 18 or something like that. But when they were
small, they played with the very same Lego bricks with which we had played
40 years earlier!

    And yes, Beata still has them, so who knows?maybe a third generation
will take them over in the next decade?

    I have sent this story to a senior manager at the Lego company in
Denmark (whom I had met in connection with my work) and she loved it, of
course. It is attachment like this that makes Lego one of the world?s most
powerful brands.

    Cheers,
    Nathan

    Nathan Wajsman