Subject: [Leica] Arrowhead
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 16:06:19 +0530

Philippe,
Thanks for looking.

Ranthambhore is quite hilly, so there are plenty of ups and downs. When we
are ahead of a tiger on walkabout, we seek out the lower portions of the
track where we can simulate the low level shots. I had the best driver
there, Himmat Singh with me, as I always do, so he does the positioning
automatically without my having to worry about it, as he is sure of what I
want by now, both in terms of position and light. He is usually the driver
for every film crew that comes there, as well as a bunch or pro
photographers, so he is very experienced. The most important skill is to
get in front of the tiger, so we photograph the face, not the backside!
Remember, too, that most tourists are ecstatic at just seeing a tiger on
the prowl, so they are not really bothered about whether they are ahead or
behind the animal!

In the shot you highlighted, there were 10 jeeps behind Arrowhead, and to
get them out of the frame we were positioned on a lower part of a slope
just after a sharp bend.

This shot, too, was envisaged, and positioned for, a good two hundred
metres ahead of Arrowhead, both to photograph her with the background of
the stepwell and before the chasing pack of vehicles had a chance to get
into the frame:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Ranthambhore/Ranthambhore-20190320-1505.jpg.html

In this one, positioned again to get her on top of a hump and above us, I
was not successful in getting the vehicle out of the background - as you
can see the forest green metal behind the tree:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Ranthambhore/Ranthambhore-20190320-3045.jpg.html

Cheers
Jayanand