Subject: [Leica] Leica Q2 just out
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 09:28:53 -0500

I really don?t understand Leica?s (or anyone else?s) interest in in-camera
cropping to simulate lenses of different FLs. Whether 35-50-75 or anything
else, it accomplishes nothing that you can?t duplicate in 10 seconds in any
image-editing program ? except, of course, to lose forever the stuff that?s
outside the crop frame, and the flexibility to change your mind. I suppose
the ability to preview the crop in the EVF is helpful, though. Now that I
think about it, a nice option for any EVF camera with a fixed, permanent
prime lens would be to have it display the FOV of longer FLs.

As for the camera's actual FL, Sony?s choice of 35mm for the RX1 is one of
the reasons I chose to buy it rather than the 28mm Q ? in addition to the
(then) higher pixel resolution. I know that many discount the value of high
pixel counts, and I do too for many of my photos, but there are times when
it really makes a difference and, as always, YMMV.

?howard