Subject: [Leica] File recovery software for SD cards
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 21:05:41 -0800

What program(s) do you folks use to recover deleted or inaccessible DNG
files from an SD card?

I accidentally deleted two pictures from an SD card in my Leica M10-P
before they had been copied anywhere else.? Fortunately, I was able to
get the files back, but I'd like to know the best solution for the future.

As soon as I deleted the files, I shut off the camera, removed the SD
card, write-protected it and put a different card in the camera. I had
formatted the card before starting to use it, and I normally don't
delete pictures in-camera.? So I was fairly confident that the deleted
files were contiguous and therefore easy to recover.

The first program I tried was Rescue Pro from LC Technology. SanDisk
recommends it.? I had two license keys that came with SanDisk cards I'd
bought.? Perfect, right?? Wrong. Neither license key worked: "Invalid
key." On the bottom of the "Free Offer" tag, in tiny print readable only
with a strong magnifier, were the words "Limited time offer." Gee,
thanks. To download the software, I had to give them a valid email
address and phone number. Within 24 hours, they spammed me via both.
Their standard $40 program doesn't support DNG files, so I would have to
buy the $60 "Deluxe" version. And those prices are for a one-year
license, after which the software stops working.? I'm happy to pay for
something I use, but I object to renting software on principle.? All of
these things left me with an unfavorable impression of LC Technology.

I ended up downloading MiniTool Photo Recovery, which easily recovered
my two files. The free version I used is limited to 200 MB. Their
registered versions don't expire. Is this a good solution, or is there
something better?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] File recovery software for SD cards)