Subject: [Leica] Quito and Panama Hats
From: dbirkey at reachbeyond.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 06:57:49 +0000

Enjoyed seeing a few of Jayanand's pics from Quito shot down around the La
Ronda area...  (I lived in Quito for some 15 years....)

I also did a shoot in 2005 or 2006 at one of the better manufacturers of
"Panama" hats in Ecuador - the Homero Ortega factory in Cuenca...   for more
info go to  https://homeroortega.com/?lang=en

"Panama" hats originated in and were always made in Ecuador, but so many
were exported and sold to people passing through Panama, well...  they were
known simply as Panama Hats.   Most all of the indigenous groups in Ecuador
have a distinctive, typical hat that they wear... (due to the intense
sunlight)   and some of the indigenous women from groups around Cuenca
continue to wear a narrower brimmed version of the Panama hat.   Most upper
class men of Ecuador have at least one "super fino" -  a very tightly woven
Panama hat that they wear outdoors, when going for a drive on weekends, at
the park, and in the past....   Especially at bullfights...

Viva Quito!

Duane Birkey

Douglas Barry wrote:

Seems to be an impressive city, Jayanand. My eldest stayed there back in

2005 when he was wandering around South America for a year or so. He

brought me back a hat which said somewhat conflictingly "Genuine Panama

- Hand made in Ecuador". I still have it and wear it in its now very

battered state when I'm labouring in the garden.

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Quito and Panama Hats)