Subject: [Leica] Image Circles
From: ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 09:37:57 -0800

As most things are, ?it depends?

Certainly, Leica engineers would not consider the image quality outside the
image circle of 43mm or so necessary to cover 36x24mm. However, some lenses
have been shown to have a larger usable image circle.

The biggest constraint is the diameter of the mount which is pretty small.
If the position of the exit pupil is close to the mount, you may not
experience vignetting due to the mount. And yes, wider apertures would
result in greater vignetting.

Back in the film days, I have encountered people using Leitz Viso lenses on
Medium format cameras with a focal plane shutter. I recall that Elmer 65mm,
90mm, and 135mm provides enough coverage.

After losing my SL to theft last month, I had been pondering replacing it
with a Fujifilm or Hasselblad, because the Olympus micro four thirds is
adequate for 80% of my use cases. If I bother carrying a second system for
tripod mounted landscapes, it doesn?t have to be hand-held camera like the
SL or the M.

Fujifilm makes excellent lenses and I would not be surprised if you get
better results by using the native lenses than adapted lenses.