Subject: [Leica] Question about photography business
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 10:33:49 -0700

Hi Brian,
As a sole proprietor in CA, you don't need to do much. I simply registered
with the Franchise Tax Board and pay them quarterly sales tax (not that I
sell enough to even bother; read zero for most years...). Then on your
Federal return you only have to fill out Schedule C where the net income or
loss from this Schedule is then added to you gross income. State forms to
file flow from the federal forms; I use Tax Cut, others like other tax prep
programs, but your cost for the software will go up slightly to get a
version that handles Sole Proprietorships. Difference in price is
deductible of course!
That's about it. I joined the Professional Photographer's Association as a
business expense and to show I was serious They also give some great
insurance coverage. Keep records of your purchase and sales.

The rule for photography being a business instead of a hobby is to show net
income in 2 of 5 years I believe; easy to look up; changes, it seems to me,
often! Gets complicated if you don't but is do-able.

Feel free to contact me off-line if you have any other questions. Please
take this as advisory only and do not depend upon it as all the facts, but
this is what I do.
No lawyers or tax accountants are necessary. However if you do establish a
Subchapter S corp, I would advise you to consult a tax professional as you
must set up articles of incorporation and keep meticulous records.
Best,
Bob

Bob Adler
www.robertadlerphotography.com