Subject: [Leica] Recommendations for film and developing
From: lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 19:55:52 +0200

Hi Howard,

I have started to develop myself the films because I?ve not found any
proffessional lab that they develop with the results I wanted as I had some
years ago before than my usual lab went out of business. The first thig I
have encountered is that im my opinion the  films quality is not the same as
it was in the past, neither the water (at least in Barcelona), for thi
reason I do all the process with distilled water except ten minuntes rinse
after the develping, but after this I replenishes the tank 2 times with
distilled water agitating it during 4 or 5 minutes, after these two baths I
put the film on distilled water with Ilford Mirasol for 1,5/2 min. and my
films are totally clean, no traces of points forming white spots.

My developing procedure is the usual, I presoak for about 2 min. the film in
plain water at similar temperature the developer, I agitate 30? and I do two
inversions  every 30?. Note that 15 years before I agitate the first minute
and 5? every 30??.

I have tested several films: Eastmann Double X 5222 ISO250, Orwo 54 and 74,
Bergger, Fomapan, Argenti, Agfa (actual), Adox Silvermax 100 and as I have
discussed with Nathan finally I keep using Ilford FP4 and HP5, ocasionally
Delta 3200 and Adox Silvermax 100, very rich in Silver content, I obtained
the best results on this one rating at ISO 50 and developing - 15% time in
Silvermax developer.

In the past I?ve tried and used diferent devopers, D-23  (I loved it),
Rodinal (I never liked it), T-Max (excellent in particular for T-Max films),
HC 110 (Great for his long shelf life but it made some grain), Microphen
(for pshing Ilford HP5 to ISO 800), ID 11, D 76 and X-Tol. Lately I used
Xtol at several dilutions (I think that it work very well at 1:3 with FP4
and at 1:1 with HP5) but it has the inconvenient that I shall prepare 5 L.
and this is too much for my use, when I will finish the remain stock I will
be back to D 76 or ID 11, everybody says that hey are the same developer
formula, ID 11 uses Phenidone and D 76 Metol, Phenidone is a little bit more
energic than Metol who is more smooth,  and D-76 is cheaper than ID-11. I?ve
read very good reviews about the D-76 Divided, you are lucky you can buy it
in US in Photographers Formulary, import it to Spain become too expensive.

For developing times and Time/Temp conversions I use:

https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php

I have used during years the Jobo tanks, but now I?m using Stainless tanks
and reels, I?ve found this useful tool from kindermann and it is very fast
load a reel:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOF6yti8RMU>

Ilford has a similar one.

I?m lucky, I have a friend in Barcelona who has a densitometer and once I?ve
considered that my developing was correct I?ve measured the densities to be
sure I?m in the good average.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Lluis