Subject: [Leica] Fuji and Sony - OT
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 21:21:58 -0700

I didn?t know about this release, Jayanand. Thanks.

Not only do I like the Fuji philosophy of firmware releases I much prefer
their mechanism for installation.

Sony requires special software to download the firmware to the Sony camera.
On the Mac this is in the form of a KEXT file which, once installed, runs
inside the kernel of the OS. If that bit of software is somehow compromised
it owns your computer. I don?t know if this is the case with Windows. Fuji,
on the other hand, downloads a file that is transferred to an SD card and
then loaded into camera. Much simpler.

I?ve had ?adventures? updating Sony firmware. In fact almost ever firmware
update has been an adventure.

Adam