Subject: [Leica] More with the Rolleiflex
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 01:12:09 -0400

Yes my high Sierra was installed automatically a month or two ago. I thought
the walls would melt.
It seems I so have some 32 bit programs left which do kind of work but need
to be gotten rid of and replaced by 64 as they mess things up a bit. I had
no idea about this but seemed to have survived the paradigm shift to 64. I'm
glad I didn?t have a choice I may have chickened out.

A year ago I ran on the Leopard who runs on the snow operating system on my
very old laptop.. This is because he was upgraded to web feet which were
kind of like built in snow shoes. This made it possible for him to also use
all kinds of softwhere the Leopard who was built for running on the dirt
could not. I had to get him on a CD.
That was then this is now. I fell far behind on operating systems with that
old laptop and got myself in real trouble
But with my new this year huge iMac things are automated as I said.
And I'm not falling behind any more.
I think of myself as a 64 kind of guy even though I'm a couple of years
older.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four
My advice is still the same. Don?t over think upgrades just upgrade.
They know what's best for us. And they promise never to leak any of our
information.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 5/4/18, 8:42 PM, "LUG on behalf of Lluis Ripoll via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Mark,

    I want make a short comment to your message, you say you follow up all
the upgrades, I?m not sure and even disapointed, just yesterday I?ve
donwload an upgrade for my High Sierra OS, I have received the notice two or
three weeks ago, but I always wait some days before to install new upgrades,
sometimes I had compatibiity problems with other App like Capture One. Now
I?m receiving a notice that due to the last upgrade on my Mac certain old
app 32 bits will not run in the future if they are not 64 bits (the app are
Excel, Word, PS elements, Bridge?.), believe me I think I belong to the
idelism you mention Componon S (I use Focotar 4.5/50mm) and Amidol like the
old great E. Weston!?.  using an enlarger and chemicals you don?t need any
upgrade ?. :-)

    Cheers
    Lluis

    > El 3 maig 2018, a les 3:57, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> va
escriure:

    > For everything they tell you about on an upgrade there's two dozen
fixes and tweaks they don't.
    > Always use the latest software in your work. It?s a no brainer.
    > On other LUG and other lists the members ruminate on if the latest
upgrade is worth the money. That?s the first I'd ever heard that one in the
real world of serious photography practice no one every discusses upgrades
you just get them and install it its very exciting.
    > Most of my software now upgrades are automatic on my Apple operating
system, my Microsoft Office system and my Adobe system. Also my Google
Chrome Browser. (woof!), and Filemaker Database I've been using since 1986.
99.9% of my computer world.
    > I wake up in the morning and  as often as not they don?t even tell me
I've been upgraded. They think rightly its maybe better I don?t know. I
might get too excited and start playing around with stuff I don't
understand..
    > And they take as much money out of my bank account as the feel is fair
and I trust them. And if I didn?t trust them it wouldn't matter as they are
by far the largest most powerful companies in the world and the own me. They
leave me with enough for food and printing paper and my MTA subway and bus
pass.
    > Often its compatibility issues which normal people could not in a
million years even begin to comprehend in a software upgrade especially
stuff having to to with photography.
    > You time is money your gear is expensive don?t skimp on what is the
digital equivalent of your darkroom enlarger and chemistry.
    > In a better world of silver idealism we'd not be using equivalents but
trusting our images to a 100mm Schneider Componon-S enlarging lens and
Amidol paper developer. And a better staple gun to make more drying screens.

leica-users.org> wrote:

    >    Hi Mark!
    >
    >    Thank you very much for your comment ! I have download the trial
version of Capture One last release V11 and I?ve found it not necessary for
my work because the improvements of this release is mainly for color work,
the upgrade it?s not a fortune, it is about 120 Euro, I have started with CO
many years ago when the M8 came with this software, I?ve followed every
upgrade up today. Beside the darroom chemicals process i think the only
think can improve my work would be a good scanner, my printer is already
quite good Epson SC-P600, but actually I?m not too much concerned for the
digital printing, because I think that the wet process is the best one
shooting film as I actually do.

    >    I really appreciate your advices, thanks again!
    >    Lluis
    >

    >> El 2 maig 2018, a les 4:06, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
va escriure:

    >> I may have under estimated you, Lluis and thought you were scanning
snapshots! The fact that you are scanning negs not scanning machine prints
puts you in the running. Makes you the real deal.
    >> As far as I've gone it's always been about Photoshop but Capture One
v10.0 is serious software costing real money used by some good people though
it usually I think goes along with medium format digital use or digital back
use. Regardless it's been updated a few times to  v10.1 Released May 4,
2017,
    >> v11. Released Nov. 30th, 2017,
    >> v11.0.1. Released Jan. 18, 2018.
    >> You might check it out for a hundred bucks it may be a whole new
ballgame and make for better end results on our screens and so on.
    >> Unless you have a simplified version which came with your scanner...
    >>
    >> Its not good though that I thought your prints were scanned
unmanupiated snapshots (otherwise known as machine prints.)  That?s a lower
level of work found in ones bottom drawer shoebox and with your gear and
body of work I'd guess you are thinking bigger I know you've had shows on
the walls.
    >> So keep working at it day by day and get the upgrade. With every
image you crunch you do better ; it all adds up. Being involed in the
processing makes you a more aware photogrphaer in the field.