Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Sonny/A7R111
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:32:05 -0500

Let me chime in albeit with the first version R.  Generally speaking even
the cheapest adapters work.  I have bottom fed from Amazon and KEH with no
issues.  For non flat field work the slight variation in field flatness
with the cheap adapters doesn't matter to the image.

Now, the hard part.  Try one of them with a good manual lens.  If you find
it hard to focus in the magnified mode whether the fine discrimination of
sharpness eludes your eye or the sequence of button pushing is cumbersome
then you will not be satisfied.

I will highly suggest that you investigate the adapters with focusing
helicals.  They allow you to focus M lenses to SLR close focusing distances
and in the case of the wides incredibly close focus.

With that said the G master lenses are outstanding if large.  The sensor is
absolutely unforgiving.  You will see every flaw in even the best lenses.
You can embrace the flaws, choose not to see them, or spend a great deal of
money upgrading lenses.

I have found the Sony's generally very good instruments for images.  If you
subscribe to the Ted Grant shooting method then an M or some of the Fuji
models are a better choice.

For complete disclosure I am somewhat of a lens junky(52 50ish mm lenses)
with multiple 35s, 28s, 21s, 85ish, 100ish, 135s, 200s well you get the
picture.  The ability to put the "best" lens to use regardless of make or
vintage is invaluable.  There are adapters for every lens made almost
including the Contax and Voightlander Prominant cameras.

To summarize, if you can focus them they are incredible tools.  If you
can't focus them but can afford the lenses they are incredible cameras.
The III generation is stunning.