Ted,
I understand what you are saying, but there is really one critical
difference between us - you were a professional and a photojournalist and I
have never been either, therefore our needs are quite different. Being a
hobbyist with time to spare,I like to have a few lenses with unique light
signatures to give a certain look to my photographs. These are so expensive
nowadays that I have learned, through past experience, and a considerable
lightening of the wallet, not to buy them blind. In fact, I do not buy any
equipment nowadays without trying it out beforehand. I am lucky that the
Indian subsidiaries of both Nikon and Fuji, the two systems I use
extensively, both indulge me and send me demo pieces that I ask for
whenever possible!

Cheers
Jayanand